Monday, January 25, 2016

Batman's Robin is from Shoal Harbour!

Stick with me a little as I connect the dots on this original episode of my Not So Private Tales.

Adam West was the original Batman in the TV series that ran from 1966-1968. Batman's friend in the Gotham City Police Department is Commissioner James "Jim" Gordon.  You with me so far?

I am James "Jim" Nixon. My father and brother are named Gordon. I was, a lifetime ago, a police officer. (I never achieved the rank of commissioner or anywhere even close. I was but a lowly Corporal, but we won't let that take away from my story.) You can see how I feel such a close kinship with Batman's Jim.  It's almost as if I could be him, episode after episode, sequel after sequel.

My brother-in-law, who, unless you consider his day job as web designer at a prominent AM radio station, has never acted a day in his life, His name just happens to be Adam West. I'm beginning to believe that there are no coincidences here. I am 22 years older than Adam so I feel as fatherly towards him as Commissioner Gordon does towards Batman.  Adam's closest sibling in age is 15 years his senior. It must have been a very dark night, just over 29 years ago, when our Adam was conceived.  That and the likelihood that our superhero's father left the door open when he visited the *Fortress of Solitude!

* (Writer's note -- I thought about not using this term as it is a reference to another superhero, Superman. The obvious and more suitable replacement would have been Batcave, but I figured that to use it in the context I had chosen would have been a bit too risque and not appreciated by my mother-in-law.)

My connections to the Dark Knight are irrefutable. The kinship Adam and I share is more powerful than the our province's iron horse of old, the Newfie Bullet; deeper than the now flooded iron mines on Bell Island; and taller than the iron stained rock walls of Red Cliff. Who needs the Man of Steel when we have our Man of Iron. Sure, he may not exactly fit the bill as you would envision most superheros to be. His choice of vehicle, a near powder blue Subaru, may not strike fear in the hearts of wrong doers. His tights may reveal just a little too much of our hero's package and his six pack is actually a storage compartment for Joe Louis' and May West's (no relation) cakes. Think of it as a breadbox that could also double as a bullet proof vest.

None of these disturbing visual images detract from the super guy who is Adam West. He is a crusader in the offing. His heart is huge and it is pure. He is anything but 2 faced. His wit would make The Joker jealous and he is nowhere as brooding as Bruce Wayne. It even appears that our lovable Batman has found his Robin, who goes by the alias of Susan. She is a friendly Catwoman, certainly more tigress than cougar. Together they will put the saint back in St. John's, the shine in Mount Pearl, the paradise in Paradise, the conception back in CBS(!?) I probably should have stopped at paradise. Then again, if Adam's father had done that then where would we be today? The days and nights would be a whole lot darker.

Just one last message for Adam West, my brother-in-law. There is no need to "thank" me for writing about you, nor do you need to reply/respond in anyway whatsoever. ;-) (Your wit scares me to death!) Should I need The Batman I will shine a bright light into the sky over the South Side Hills. A light that bright will need tremendous power so it will have to wait until the electricity from Muskrat Falls comes on stream. You may be much too old to be an effective crime fighter by the time that ever happens. Perhaps you and Susan should consider naming your first born son Adam. Should that happen then I will know for certain that the sequel will be better than the original!  Powie! Z-zwap!

No comments:

Post a Comment