Thursday, January 09, 2014

Father Christmas Kicks Butt

I had a very quiet Christmas.  It was by choice.  Perhaps I was a little humbugged about it all.  There was no reason for me to be like that, I just was.  Sometimes that's just how it goes.  So for my many friends out there, don't be offended by the absence of a card in the mail or in your in-box, by the non-call, or by the no show of me gracing the threshold of your doorway.  I still think about you often.  Okay, okay.....so maybe sometimes it's when I am wondering whether my gift from you may have been lost in the mail.

As out of season as I may have been, I certainly did my fair share of giving during this festive time. I know it is far better to give than receive, but I am beginning to wonder about the merits of that joyous expression.  I had such a run of bad luck that maybe the spirit of Christmas was silently giving me a kick in the ass for not feeling the love of the season.  Briefly, here are some of the things that have happened to me over the last few weeks:
- truck broken into, window smashed and backpack, with laptop and other items inside, taken
- stepped on my glasses and crushed them to bits
- furnace conked out during coldest day of the year
- hot water heater pipe busted but only minor flooding in garage
- leak in roof

I feel like I am forgetting a few, but it's giving me a headache to thing about it any more.  You get the message.  The giving part of all these calamities is in the cheques I have written.  Merry Christmas to my plumber, mechanic, optometrist, handyman, and building contractor.  To Father Christmas.....I get the message....LOUD and |CLEAR.  What's your address?  I'm putting your gift for 2014 in the mail immediately.  Just one thing, will you take a cheque?

1 comment:

  1. My head stopped hurting and I was able to remember two more "incidents" that serve as bookends for those that were in my story. Preceding the pipes breaking and roof leaking was plowing my smart phone into a snow bank, at least that's where I think it is. In any event, it required a trip to Koodo and my wallet lighter by almost $300. The last of this string of luck was finding the wind shield of my truck cracked from one end to the other. I can't pinpoint when or how that may have happened. In a funny twist, the crack is shaped like a big toothless grin. All I can do is smile right back.

    ReplyDelete