Saturday, October 06, 2012

Shooting the Breeze and Talking Turkey

I'm going to write today as if the words came from a shotgun.  There won't be one specific theme, but instead I'll throw a bunch of thoughts at the cyberspace wall and see if anything sticks.  I hope at least one of the attempts resonants with you.

As its Thanksgiving weekend, I'll first start out by wishing all of you health and happiness.  In a nutshell, if you really think of it, if you have those two simple things then what more can you ask for.  Perhaps there is one more thing - an extra helping of mom's gravy on Sunday when the Nixon and West clans sit down together to devour the turkey and fix-ins.  We'll remember my dad and Lynda's dad too.  Dad would have the plate so loaded that it required side boards and Ron would be reminded that gravy is not meant to be a beverage.  I am thankful for having such fond memories.

Minor hockey has begun another season and the next John Slaney or Daniel Cleary is waiting to be discovered in the frosty rinks of our province.  I'm not coaching this year, so it's been a strange fall season.  I did go to the rink this morning to watch some of the kids I coached last year as they played their first tournament of the season.  Hockey is unique in the passion it inspires.  The rink is a tin can but it is a shrine nonetheless.  It seemed that every player had an entourage.   In the congregation were parents, both sets of grandparents, copious uncles and aunts, and reluctant siblings.  At this time of year, as well as for kids who are at the age that most still sleep with blankies, hope abounds.  After a hour, I left the rink.  It was great to watch the kids work so hard and to compete.  I think I made the right choice not to coach hockey this year.  I'll use that extra time to volunteer at my daughter's swim club.  Pools tend to be a lot warmer than rinks and the expectations for the kids' success are more realistic.  I know that Kendall won't become a millionaire because she is a great breaststroker, but I've already booked plane tickets for the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

I admire so many people.  They are not celebrities or famous in any way.  These are people who take the crap that life throws at them and make the best of it.  Life is short.  We all have others depending, in one way or another, on us.  Those of you who tackle the untimely death of loved ones, ill health, difficult employment situations, job loss and so many other challenges, continue to fight the good fight.  Don't forget that those of us who know and care about you are not meant just to be spectators.

I'm back on the job hunt.  Being a dad, house husband, chauffeur for my children and children's friends, and a blogger are all great but the pay sucks!  Having kids is expensive, as is running your brother's boat aground.  I have an iron in the fire, so I'll let you know if and when it becomes a sure thing.  Lynda is on the proverbial fence about me working.  We've enjoyed a couple of years of me just being available to do all of the stuff that comes with having a home and a family.  I'm thinking of telling her that I'll give up the job search if she provides some thoughtful fringe benefits (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).  I'm pretty sure I know her reply will be along the lines of "So when do you start your new job."  I haven't told her yet that I'm not too hopeful on landing the job.  I've applied to be the captain of the Bell Island ferry.

It's time to head home.  I have to check on a leak that's coming from the main floor into the basement.  It's been going on for the last few days.  I left it as I kind of hoped that Lynda or mom would look after it, but no such luck.  I do laundry and the dishes and I'm still expected to fix stuff around the house.  My dad and father-in-law must be rolling in their graves.  Perhaps they have a point.  I think I'll have another coffee and read the paper.  After that I'll head home and beg Lynda to forgive me.  Just maybe I'll have to make it up to her by providing her with fringe benefits.  Now wouldn't that be a real nice "thanks giving".

No comments:

Post a Comment