Thursday, June 21, 2012

They May be Small Shoes, But Hard Shoes to Fill

A year ago I wrote about a man for who I have the utmost respect.

http://notsoprivatei.blogspot.ca/2011/06/sun-shines-on-mr-rumsey.html

I still feel that way and, if possible, that respect has grown.  Mr. Gerard Rumsey is the principal of the school where my kids have learned, laughed, cried, cheered and blossomed during the last seven years.  More importantly, under the leadership of Mr. Rumsey, the school has been a place that will forever be one of the building blocks for young lives that have limitless possibilities.  St. Francis of Assisi has been a home to my kids and the adults, who report to work there from September to June, have been more like family than public servants.

At the time I wrote my story, rumours were rampant that Mr. Rumsey may retire after one more year of tireless and selfless dedication to a profession that certainly does not get its just rewards.  In a world where even modestly talented professional athletes easily earn fifty to one hundred times more annually than our teachers, I question our priorities.  As a sports enthusiast and a parent, I can attest that neither a goal nor a home run stacks up to the immense responsibility of shaping the future of our young people.  The theme of my story was somewhat self-serving.  I asked that Mr. Rumsey delay any thoughts of riding off into the sunset for a minimum of three years.  That's when my younger daughter, Avery, would have completed grade 6 and my days of dodging the craters of the St. Francis of Assisi parking lot will have come to an end.

I know Mr. Rumsey is a frequent reader of my stories, but he did not  heed my request in this instance.  A hour ago I stood in that very school parking lot and watched Mr. Rumsey being greeted by the students, staff and many parents as he arrived at the school for his final day as its leader.  He was accompanied by the grade 5 teacher, Mrs. Furey, who will also be retiring.  Although, it the case of Mrs. Furey it must be early retirement because she looks no where near old enough to call it a day.  Perhaps she has a second career planned?

It was very symbolic that the fog that enshrouded the school was lifting just as Mr. Rumsey and Mrs. Furey arrived.  In a real sense, that's what educators do for our children.  As for arriving in sports cars, I'm not exactly sure what that says about Gerard and Janet future plans, but the kids sure loved the spectacular entrance.  We all lingered in the parking lot to soak up the good tidings, as much as the sunshine.  Given the title of my previous story about Mr. Rumsey, how fitting that the weather behaved as it did.  Every time I looked for Mr. Rumsey I found him joyfully conversing with the kids.  When he's amongst the elementary students he can be hard to locate, as he is somewhat vertically challenged.  Despite that, Mr. Rumsey will always be a giant in the eyes of the people that know him.  His heart must occupy most of his body because it is huge.

I could go on and on and on.... but as Mr. Rumsey knows, there is always a right time to stop doing something.  Farewell sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment