Thursday, October 13, 2011

Headline 2041 - "Senior with Shrinkage Scares Swimmers"

In my most recent story, Jim at the Gym, I mentioned that the time of day I generally go for a workout is also when the more mature segment of our society drops by to get a sweat on.  Older people are wonderful.  I say that because my dealings with my fellow gym mates has taught me that with age comes a profound grace and a keen sense of self.  It is the grey and blue haired members of my gym who are the first ones to greet me with a "hello" or a "good morning".

In the three weeks I've been a gym enthusiasts, I don't think anyone under 60 has even attempted to make eye contact with me.  God knows they are not threatened by my not so bulging bicepts or left feeling inadequate when they see me naked as I exit from the shower.  That being said, I do make certain that I tell anyone, who cares to listen, that I love to take really cold showers.  I have my pride to consider.

This morning, following a not so brisk 1000 meter swim, I was sharing the hot tub with an older lady.  We had a nice chat and as she was leaving, she suggested I move over to the jet on the far side, as it was the most powerful and provided the best therapeutic experience.  I thanked her and slide over.  Boy, was she right.  The water flowing from that one jet was heavenly.  I doubt any whipper snapper aged 59 or younger would have ever shared that secret with me.

A few minutes later, two older gents joined me and they immediately joked about how I had the best jet in the hot tub.  I guess maybe it is not such a secret after all, at least not amongst the ageless members of the gym.

The older of the two men told me he has been coming to this gym for almost thirty years.  His wife died several years ago and he said he would be lost without the companionship and sense of belonging that came with being a member of the gym.  He also said that the gym was the best hospital in the province.  By that he meant that the physical, mental and spiritual benefits of exercising the body, mind and soul has helped him stay healthy and avoid trips to the real hospital.  Apparently, his two grown sons have yet to discover the real and intrinsic advantages of going to the gym and he doesn't understand why they knowingly choose to compromise their health.  I suggested that, perhaps in time, they will come to see what their dad already knows.  He hoped so.  He offered to pay for their membership but even that generousity has not swayed the younger men from burning the candle of health at both ends.  Youth really is wasted on the young.

In a way I'm sort of glad that this man's two sons will not yet be joining my gym.  I don't really relish the thought of more nameless and faceless middle-agers going around the gym as if they have a weight bar stuck up their butts.  His sons would probably be two more 30 or 40 something year old guys who would be taking up space in the locker room and giving me the silent treatment.  Would eye contact and a nod be too much to ask from the pre-senior crowd?  It seems that for most of my peers common courtesy is akin to going to confession or public speaking.  I'll keep trying to be pleasant and nodding in their direction just in case.  At least my neck muscles are getting a work out.

The younger crowd can sure learn a lot from our seniors about politeness and generosity.  There's one thing I won't be sharing with that younger crowd though and that is the location of that dreamy jet in the hot tub.  That's just between me and my senior friends.

Thankfully, everyone is required to wear swim suits while in the hot tub.  There's something just not right about having it all hang out while in such a small body of water that is shared by so many people.  Also, what about if I were naked and just left the hot tub?  How would I explain my..... appearance?  It would be extremely difficult to fool everyone by saying that the water is really cold in there today.  I have my pride to consider, remember.

Perhaps when I become a senior and finally mature, I'll wise up and I just won't give a damn about my pride and whether I'm wearing a swim suit or not.  When the day comes that I clear out the general swimming session at the Aquarena because I show up poolside in just my birthday suit, I will have a good excuse.  After I'm arrested, I'll tell the cops that I've been a member of the gym for 30 years and that I'm old.  Hopefully, that will get me off.  I'll also be sure to tell them that the water was really cold.  We seniors have our pride too.

No comments:

Post a Comment