Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Finding Myself in the Fog

I haven't been good of late at keeping my promised dates with a very faithful companion - the solitary walk.  It's very forgiving though.  It will be there the next time I decide to show up (or not) and it'll keep being there for me whenever I need it.  This solitary walk thing sounds very much like how I would describe my closest friends, although I may challenge the strength of even those relationships if I insisted on their company during downpours, wind storms and winter white outs.  The solitary walk never complains, takes whatever I throw its way, and always challenges me to be better.  Hmmm.... now it is sounding more like my wife.

I did venture out this morning after Lynda and the kids left for work and school, respectively.  Despite the time of day, there was a freshness and peacefulness about, which is usually reserved for that special hour that bookends the sun's rise.  Perhaps the layers of fog that have enveloped us these past few days is the reason.  The fog brings a stillness and it seems to amplify the sounds of nature and man.  Today's fog also ensured that my walk of solitude would not be interrupted by hikers, sightseers or lovers seeking their own form of solace.  The normal draw to my chosen path is the chance to observe nature.  With steep cliffs rising from the ocean, timeless coves and beaches hugging the not-to-distant shores, swooning hawks and the occasional Bald  Eagle soaring so high yet never having to flap its wings, the scenery is stunning.

On this day, the fog ensured that I saw none of this gifts of nature.  The fog is seemingly our enemy.  So many bad events are blamed on it, from car accidents to missed flights.  Everywhere one goes on the Northeast Avalon the first topic of conversation is the cursed fog.  Our weather experts tell us this particular batch will stick around these parts for at least another week.  The CBC TV weatherman is a well liked young fellow by the name of Ryan Snodden.  Poor Ryan seems to take being the bearer of bad weather somewhat personally.  He also seems to grimace a little when he tells us the Canadian model shows the low pressure system as being stuck just off the east coast of the province.  Perhaps some watchers do blame Ryan and may have tossed a shoe or two his way, albeit only when he was staring at them from behind the television screen.  I see Ryan often as he goes to Tim Horton's for coffee next door to the CBC studios.  If any of you need to apologize to him, I'm sure you can catch up with him there.  He's taller than he looks on TV, so he'll be the guy with his head in the fog.

With no sights to take in on my morning walk today, my other senses naturally took center stage.  The result was something quite amazing and just as breathtaking if the sky had been clear blue.  The songs of the birds seemed so much sweeter and captivating.  The gentle, yet persistent, tidal action against the rocks far below provided a nice rhythm for my stroll across the coastal trail.  The new growth of the the wind bent trees and hardy shrubbery gave off an unmistakable odour.  It was the smell of hope and of faith that everything can prosper, if it only has the will to do so.

My faithful dog, Jasper, joined me today, but he never really walks with me any longer.  He has forged his own walk of solitude in the wooded areas that run adjacent to my preferred route.  Every so often, he will make an appearance, large rock in mouth, make eye contact and then melt back into the serenity of the woods.

The fog thought that it would win today.  It thought that it could hide all of nature's goodness.  It's goal was to keep me at home or better still, to keep me cursing it as I wondered what lay behind its veil of secrecy.  The fog failed.  It did not spoil my walk of solitude.  The fog actually provided me with an opportunity to see things in a whole new light.  It was wonderful.  I'll be back out there tomorrow.  Perhaps I'll run into some more people who have become more enlightened because of the fog.  As I was just ending today's walk, I thought I glimpsed a familiar figure heading onto the trail.  It sure looked a lot like the stringy stature of Ryan Snodden.  Could it be that Ryan has become enlightened?  It is more likely that he looking for a good place to hide out until the weather breaks.  Good choice Ryan.  You can't see your hand in front of your own face out here and if they can't see you, then they can't hit you with their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment